Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 07:31:45 -0700
From:      fBSD <fBSD@itab.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /etc/make.conf ?

Going step-by-step with the handbook upgrade (21.4 Using make world) I'm up
to "21..4.2 Check /etc/make.conf"

I don't have /etc/make.conf but I do have an /etc/defaults/make.conf.

The handbook says, "A typical user will probably want to copy the CFLAGS and
NOPROFILE lines..." to make.conf.

Now this all seems reasonable except I'm led to believe "make world" would
work fine without an /etc/make.conf file or if I did create an
/etc/make.conf with the CFLAGS and NOPROFILE lines it would do things I
don't understand, like:

CFLAGS= -O -pipe

and is BDECFLAGS a CFLAG?

BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align \
                -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Wconversion -Winline \
                -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith \
                -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes \
                -Wwrite-strings

The above BDECFLAGS is uncommented in the /etc/defaults/make.conf file, as
if everyone should do this, but the description sounds like FreeBSD
developer stuff only. Huh?

And the 4.2 that's on the machine now was installed without games or X so
should I put these lines in my /etc/make.conf?

#From /etc/defaluts/make.conf
NO_X=          true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g. doscmd)
NOGAMES=       true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)

Thanks