Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:28:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John Regehr <regehr@cs.utah.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linuxthreads on Linux vs FreeBSD performance question

The paper that I mentioned last week, that contains some FreeBSD
performance data, is about Hourglass, a user-level tool for measuring
scheduling behavior.  It'll appear in the FREENIX track of the USENIX
general technical conference in June.

There's a draft here:
  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/hourglass-040802.ps
  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/hourglass-040802.pdf

I've tried to get all the technical details right, but have probably
made some mistakes.  I'm posting this draft in order to give people the
opportunity to send me corrections now rather than flaming me later!

Disclaimer #1:  Most of the performance data in this paper was taken on
Linux.  The bias is due to the presence of lots of real-time enhanced
versions of Linux, which created opportunities to show interesting
effects while still making apples-apples comparisons.

Disclaimer #2:  For people reading this message in the archives: this
draft will disappear a few days after this message is posted.  The final
copy of the paper will be available around April 16 2002 and will be
linked to the same site where the Hourglass software is located:

  http://www.cs.utah.edu/~regehr/hourglass

Thanks,

John Regehr