Date:      Thu, 7 May 2009 12:14:25 -0400
From:      Jeff Blank <jb000003@mr-happy.com>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   loss of X bell with xorg-7.4

Hi,

I've recently upgraded two machines to FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE and
xorg-7.4_1./xorg-server-1.6.0,1, both compiled from ports.  On both
machines, I have no X bell.  There's no problem on a console VTY, only
when in X.  I've been through google, this list's archives, and xorg
man pages, but I can't find any reference to a bell-related setting.
I normally run an 'xset b' command in my .xsession to get the pitch
and volume to my liking--I've tried different values, and I've tried
killing the X server and logging in with no 'xset b' command, but no
luck.  Even just running 'Xorg' from a console VTY, escaping back to
the console, and running 'DISPLAY=:0 xterm' produces no bell, so it
doesn't appear to be anything specific to my user-level X
configuration.

System-wide configuration and log are at http://web.mr-happy.com/xorg/ .

A couple other notes, in case any of this is relevant:
- I don't use KDE, Gnome, or any other "environment", just a .xsession
  and fvwm2.
- I run xdm from /etc/ttys to start my X sessions.
- Xorg is compiled without HAL support (which doesn't seem like it
  should be related, but I guess you never know).
- The two machines are completely unrelated: one is a year-old Dell
  Optiplex, and the other is a 3-year-old component-build thing.

Has anyone else run into this?  Any ideas on what I can check or try?

thanks,
Jeff