Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:15:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: softupdates

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Bill Hamilton wrote:

> I've seen recommendations of using softupdates and noatime to speed up
> make world.
> The noatime is an option of mount(8). How do you turn on softupdates?

You'll need the latest copies of your kernel and contrib sources. Once you
have those:

cd /sys/ufs/ffs
ln -s /usr/src/contrib/sys/softupdates/softdep.h
ln -s /usr/src/contrib/sys/softupdates/ffs_softdep.h

Add the line:

options		SOFTUPDATES

to your kernel config file, config it, and remake your kernel. Reboot.
To enable softupdates for a filesystem, unmount the filesystem, and run:

tunefs -n enable <raw device of filesystem's partition>

Then remount the filesystem.

> Is this the same as async?

Nope. It should be as fast as async, though.

> How bad can you hose yourself?

With async? Bad. With softupdates? You can't, especially, AFAIK.

> If I have a separate slice for each of / and /var and /usr, I can do
> these options just on the non-root slices and get some speedup and not risk
> root, correct?

Yes.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji