Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:47:16 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Karin Lagesen <karin@ii.uib.no>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stunnel, fetchmail and pop3

Hello Karin,

> I am currently trying to set things up so that I can fetch my mail
from my
> mailbox at my uni securely. I am currently running 4.2-RELEASE. What
I am
> doing/have done is the following:

> First of all I installed stunnel-3.14 via porteasy with the options
- -aub.
> AFAIK, this should also install any cryptografic stuff that it
needs? The
> reason for my asking is that www.stunnel.org claims that the program
also
> needs OpenSSL or SSLeay, and I couldn't see anything like that on
the
> depends listing....

OpenSSL is integrated into FreeBSD since 3.something.

> Secondly I am trying to get stunnel to start up during startup. The
> program comes with a script that is supposed to go in the
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory. From the man page it looks like that
> anything in that directory ending in .sh will be run at startup. Is
this
> correct?

As long as it has the execute bit set: yes (although mine lives in
/etc/rc.d). But you don't need this here if you want to use a custom
server (thinking about it: one always wants...).

> Third, the command that I'm trying to start from that script is as
> follows (mail.server here being the ip of my pop3 mail server):

> /usr/local/sbin/stunnel -c -d 110 -r mail.server:995

> From what I can see, this should be correct. However, it wouldn't
surprise
> me if I have misunderstood something in this...:)

I have stunnel -c -r address:port -d port which works like a charm on
either FreeBSD, Linux or Win.

> When I tried running this command as root (with -f to get it to
> foreground) was:

> miranda# /usr/local/sbin/stunnel -f -c -d 110 -r mail.server:995
> LOG5[4174:134582272]: Using 'mail.server:995' as tcpwrapper service
name
> LOG5[4174:134582272]: stunnel 3.14 on i386--freebsd4.2
PTHREAD+LIBWRAP
> LOG3[4174:134582272]: Argument to -P (/var/run/stunnel/) is not
valid a
> directory name.
> miranda#

> Can anyone explain? stunnel does not seem to be running on my
machine
> after this...

I think it tries to create a PID file in /var/run/stunnel/ which
normally doesn't exist. Now I can't exactly explain this since mine
doesn't do this. The easiest solution would probably be to create
/var/run/stunnel/ (but this isn't exactly elegant).

> Lastly, I would like to fetch my mail through this should-be working
> tunnel. I have heard that the way to do this after setting up
stunnel as
> above would be to poll your localhost at port 110. Is this correct?
There
> is also an ssl option, but I could not understand how all of that
should
> be set up...:)

That is true. Enter localhost:110 as location of your mailserver and
your set (stunnel has to be running, of course).

Best regards,
 Gabriel