Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 22:31:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

> Every time I install a package (a program or set of programs) it
> automatically updates the configuration files for all currently
> installed window managers.  And if a particular user does not
> explicitly override the system wide config files for a particular
> window manager -- he/she automatically sees the new things on
> his/her menu.  So I never have to edit any .<YOUR WIN MANAGER>rc files.

	We (as in the FreeBSD community) really need some enterprising
newbie to do stuff like this. FreeBSD is a great product, the install
goes pretty smoothly. But, that is only if you have the approved
hardware, and everything is setup right. My personal goal is to get to
the point that I can help do stuff like this. The Core Team members do a
great job, but they need to keep their attention on the product itself,
upgrading drivers, adding functionality to the system, etc. Not doing
what really amounts to scuttle work. :(
	Perhaps someone who is up on this type of stuff can write
something up that explains how to customize the system with a focus on
newbies. Adding it on Sue's newbie page would be excellent and appropriate.

					Rick