Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 18:09:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        max@sfc.wide.ad.jp
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with floppy drive (please help)

Masafumi NAKANE/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQ2Y6LDJtSjgbKEI=?= stands accused of saying:

>      Today, I made an attempt to use my floppy disk drive for the
> first time in two months or so.  (It was working OK last time I used
> it.)

Have you updated your kernel since then?

>      When I tried to fdformat, it says:
>
> # fdformat /dev/rfd0
> Format 1440K floppy `/dev/rfd0'? (y/n): y
> fdformat: ioctl(FD_FORM): Input/output error
>
> And, on console:
>
> isa_dmastart: channel 2 busy

That should be fairly harmless.

> fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 0 (No status)

That's bad.  Did you get any extra stuff (fsbn <blah> etc.)?

> Could anyone suggest what may be causing this and what I should check?

If you have DOS on the machine, check that it can still talk to the drive.
Check that you can read another floppy.  That's a start...