Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 02:59:52 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Work on GNOME2

On 02/10/02 02:43, "Maxim Sobolev" <sobomax@mail.ru> wrote:
> I suspect that at least two people (Ade and Anders) independently
> started some initial work on getting GNOME2 bits and pieces together for
> FreeBSD and I wonder if the better approach would be to put ongoing work
> into remotely accessible cvs repo. This approach played just fine when
> we were working on FreeBSD/GNOME site and I think should also help in
> this case by reducing duplicate efforts and drawing more resources to
> the work.

I'm not convinced about the need for a separate cvs repo for this, but I do
think that we should be thinking about putting out an x11/gnome2 metaport
based on the current tarballs as soon as possible, to get the new technology
into the ports tree and available for experimentation by more advanced GNOME
users (ie: those that don't mind trashing their systems).

At the moment, I am in the process of setting up a sandboxed 4-STABLE
environment for complete testing and  development of gnome2/FreeBSD
alongside the existing gnome metaport.

I am not yet sure of the exact procedure that will be needed in terms of
incorporating gnome2 into the tree in terms of repo-copies.

Perhaps the time has come to agree upon an initial set of snapshot distfiles
that we will use for x11/gnome2, then use those to develop the initial
platform, with upgrades occuring after the initial x11/gnome2 metaport etc
has been built and committed to the tree.

For something as big as gnome2, I think we should be at least offering this
directly to end-users, with the big red letter saying "if you want 'stable'
GNOME, use 1.x, but feel free to try 2.x if you want to be famous", rather
than a private cvs-repo.

-aDe