Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 17:19:29 +0200
From:      xkkolsa@aom.ericsson.se (Olof Samuelsson TM/SA 83063 6546)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcsh-6.05 and fvwm

  I'm having trouble with tcsh (the precompiled package) and fvwm,
(both the precompiled package for 1.24r and fvwm2.0pl25).

Fvwm seems to be unable to communicate with it's modules (it does that
via pipes, and passes the fds as args to the module).  Whenever tcsh
is used at a level "above" fvwm (as login shell, in an xterm that is a
parent or grandparent of fvwm) fvwm can't communicate with it's
modules.

Fvwm works fine when invoked via xdm/.xsession (that is, only /bin/sh
involved).

When I do a loop and checks for open descriptors that are terminals
(via filetest -t NN), there are a few extra fds open in the 10-20
range.

I have a faint memeory of some old csh/tcsh bug that messes up file
descriptors, is that true, or is it a FreeBSD 2.0.5 problem?

(fvwm works fine with bash, pdksh and zsh)

Should this go to -ports, btw?

/Olof