Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:01:57 -0500
From:      Dave Duchscher <daved@nostrum.com>
To:        Paul Mather <freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Errata Notice FreeBSD-EN-14:03.pkg

On Jun 16, 2014, at 8:22 AM, Paul Mather =
<freebsd-lists@gromit.dlib.vt.edu> wrote:

>=20
> On Jun 16, 2014, at 7:59 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 07:12:21AM -0500, Dave Duchscher wrote:
>>> I have had a few surprises with FreeBSD over the years and with the =
new ports system has provided quite a few of them but this update takes =
the cake.  We have our own package repository with custom options.  We =
liked and adopted pkgng early.  We also have a lot of automation. With =
this update, all of a sudden, we have a new repository configured on our =
system (/etc/FreeBSD.conf).  Lets say, I was very surprised.  It is true =
that mistakes happen. Maybe its ours for not fully understand what was =
being done. In any event, this definitely caused lots of issues for us =
and has wasted a lot of my time.
>>>=20
>>> Dave
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I'm really sorry to hear that, how could we have improved our =
communication to
>> reduce the inpact on users like the one you had? (what would you have =
expected?)
>=20
>=20
> It would have been nice if the Errata Notice had contained information=20=

> about disabling the newly-enabled FreeBSD repo.  In my case, I was=20
> already aware of the issue, because I have some FreeBSD 10 systems. =20=

> For my FreeBSD 8 and 9 systems, the workaround after installing the=20
> FreeBSD-EN-14:03.pkg Errata was simply a matter of doing this:
>=20
> 	echo "FreeBSD: { enabled: no }" > =
/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf
>=20
> as it instructs in the /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf repo file that is=20
> installed.
>=20
> I use my own pkg repo, built via Poudriere (thank you, Bapt!), which =
is=20
> why I elected to disable the newly-installed FreeBSD repo.  It's not=20=

> clear to me how multiple repos interact under pkgng, or how you can=20
> assign priorities to repos or protect packages installed from one repo=20=

> from being upgraded by packages from another.  That's the main reason=20=

> in my case why I normally disable the default FreeBSD repo and just =
use=20
> my Poudriere-maintained one.
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Paul.

This is pretty much my feelings on this particular issue.  I will add =
that the notice should have been more direct and warn that this new repo =
may conflict with private repos that may be installed.  Communication is =
hard and sometimes you just have to hit us busy people over the head.

Dave