Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:17:29 -0400
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
Subject:   How often are quota's updated?

How often are quota's updated in 3.2-STABLE?  I seem to remember the output
of quota -v being fairly close to realtime on my 2.2.8-STABLE system.  Now
it seems I have to run quotacheck before quotas get updated.

Did I do something wrong this time around?  Since this machine only gets
rebooted when necessary, it appears to be a problem.

----
7:56pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> quota -v
Disk quotas for user cjm2 (uid 1000):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
           /usr   40821  100000       0             634       0       0
7:56pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> dd if=/dev/zero of=test count=500000
500000+0 records in
500000+0 records out
256000000 bytes transferred in 44.412038 secs (5764203 bytes/sec)
7:59pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> du -d 0
289307  .
7:59pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> quota -v
Disk quotas for user cjm2 (uid 1000):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
           /usr   40821  100000       0             634       0       0
----

I know I'm over quota at this point... this could be a security risk,
someone could just fill my file system and I'd be none the wise since it
doesn't seem to keep up with these things.

Now I KNOW something's wrong.  Check the following output out... after I've
run quotacheck it says that I'm over quota.

----
8:03pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> quota -v
Disk quotas for user cjm2 (uid 1000):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit
grace
           /usr  292220* 100000       0    none     670       0       0
8:04pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ -> cat > test2
This is a test of my quotas
8:04pm [cjm2@cartman] ~ ->
----

and file test2 does exist.  So it's not even enforcing quotas at all.  What
did I do wrong?

----
8:04pm [cjm2@cartman] /etc -> grep quota /etc/rc.conf
check_quotas="YES"              # check quotas on startup (or NO)
enable_quotas="NO"              # turn on quotas on startup (or NO).
----

Also, options QUOTA is in my kernel config, and I have rebuilt and installed
the kernel, several times, and I did do a make clean.

What have I missed?

-Chris

"f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng."