Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:36:45 -0400
From:      Kenn Martin <kmartin@infoteam.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel config breakage

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 02:43:34AM -0400, Kenn Martin wrote:
> Just cvsup'd 3.1 stable at approx 1AM EDT ...
>
> make world completed fine (at least I believe so).
> config kernel completed (but apparently not fine).
> make depend completes.
> make OR make all does nothing.
> make install complains that there is no kernel to install (and there is none).
>
> Looking at the Makefile created, I see
>
>   MFILES=
>   all:
>
> I expect there should be references to kernel here, but there are none.
> Is this a configuration/installworld problem, or did something break
> elsewhere?

OK, I tried to reproduce this on another system, but was unable to.
So I redid the entire process including a cvsup this afternoon and
the problem persists on the one machine.

The primary difference between the two systems is the CPU ...
the one that works is a 686 and the one that doesn't is a 586.

Am I missing something?  Did something break?  Is there some log
I should look at (or create)?

I can most likely hack the Makefile produced by config so that I can
compile a kernel, but I don't want to have to do this every time I
run config.

kenn