Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:55:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any cards that work?

> 16 bit full duplex and a working midi interface being minimal
> requirements, what sound cards available in the US work well
> with current, and where can I get one?

not sure I can answer. 16-bit full duplex is supported by all three
drivers: amancio's (I'd say restricted to GusPnP and maybe some WSS if
you manage to make them work), mine (most modern cards which emulate
WSS) and OSS (this is commercial and I cannot comment on how it works
not having tried it recently).
Aopen (based on Crystal423X)  or Yamaha OPL/SA3 or if you are
desperate OPTI931 all work. Others (like old SB16 and many ESS) are not
true 16-bit full duplex, so I'd not buy them. The Vibra16X and clones
(Avance Asound ???) are probably true 16-bit full duplex but I don't
have support for it yet, and I am not sure if other drivers do.

For working midi, it is less easy, since my driver has no support for
it, and on other drivers this facility is much less tested (but
maybe it works with all hardware).

	cheers
	luigi