Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2014 09:43:20 -0400
From:      Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable@pobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for low-power gigE firewall?

--k3qmt+ucFURmlhDS

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 13:51:45 -0600, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2014, at 3:08 AM, Peter Jeremy <peter@rulingia.com> wrote:
>=20
> > On 2014-Jun-13 08:17:33 -0400, Chris Nehren <cnehren+freebsd-stable@pob=
ox.com> wrote:
> >> Speaking of Soekris elsethread, I'm presently interested in
> >> picking up a small device to use as a router + firewall for my
> >> home network.
> >=20
> > One thing to keep in mind is that 'gigE firewall' is fairly meaningless=
 by
> > itself.  Most of the load is per-packet and GigE could be anywhere betw=
een
> > (roughly) 80kpps and 1.5mpps.
> >=20
> > That said, since you mention 'home network', I presume you don't need c=
omplex
> > packet manipulation at wire-speed.  Note that whilst the re(4) driver d=
oesn't
> > have the same comments as the rl(4) driver, you will still need signifi=
cantly
> > more CPU power to get the same thruput from a RTL8111 as (eg) an em.
>=20
> I recently built a low-power FreeBSD box with this board:
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=3D1=
499
>=20
> The onboard re(4) NIC needs a patch[1] (present in 10-STABLE but
> not 10.0-RELEASE) to function properly. Otherwise it's been a smooth
> ride.
>=20
> It only has one onboard NIC but expansion options include PCI-e
> (mini and full) and USB 3.0.
>=20
> I have enjoyed using pcengines' Alix boards in the past, but wanted
> more memory for this application than the new APU boards support.

I'm trying to avoid having to construct a system from parts.
This board definitely has more potential than anything I've seen
so far in this research, but at the same time I'd have to play
parts matching and I'd prefer to stick with Intel if possible.

I'll keep it in mind if I have any future projects, though.
Thank you!

--=20
Chris Nehren

--k3qmt+ucFURmlhDS