Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:04:06 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hmmmm!  Now what?

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 11:47:39PM -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * 	    I think that the tk port should set the link and "wish"
>  * should default to whichever version of Tk I last installed.
>
> That's good for interactive use but if ports like tkirc are allowed to
> just call wish "wish", then we are asking for major trouble.
>
> If you can think of a way to *force* porters and committer to always
> use "wishX.Y" instead of "wish" as their interpreters, then I agree
> about tk ports installing the link.

Simple.  Install something like this as 'wish':

#!/bin/sh

echo "In FreeBSD, wish is named with a version number.  This is because wish has" 1>&2
echo "been incompatible between versions, and we want our ports to keep working." 1>&2
echo 1>&2
echo "On your system, the wish is installed under these names:" 1>&2
for name in $(/bin/ls $(echo $PATH | sed 's/:/ /g') | egrep '^wish[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$')
do
	echo $name 1>&2
done
exit 0