Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:35:46 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Desktop printing, a request for your experiences

Dominic Marks wrote:
> List,
>
> Can anyone give me their experiences of desktop printing
> (OpenOffice/KDE/Gnome/Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, etc) recently?
> I haven't tried for a while but it was a pain to setup and maintain the
> last time I looked at it.
>
> If you are using this for "real-work" and you are getting good results
> please let me know what you are using (software and hardware ideally).
>
> The environment I would like to put this into is a family house, very small
> setup with 2 PCs and 2 printers. Currently both are Windows PCs but
> one is experiencing all of the classic issues with a multi-year Windows
> installation and since they are used exclusively for E-Mail and word
> processing I am interested in migrating one PC over to FreeBSD.
>
> .. If the solution was a Linux distro (box package, or otherwise) I would
> also be interested.
> ... I am not a subscriber so please keep me CC'ed in the discussion.

My situation sounds somewhat similar to yours; wifey has a Winbox
in the house, and I print through it to an HP 6100 Multifunction
machine using apsfilter via SMB/samba.  IIRC, apsfilter thinks the
machine is an "HP920" and uses the HP-provided 'hpijs' driver and
GNU ghostscript.

I've had trouble with later versions of Abiword and this setup;
possibly also some issues with Acrobat Reader, as well.  I've not
taken time to work on this for a while, as I usually print from
web apps only --- printing is great from Mozilla et al.

Kevin D. Kinsey
--
Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the
incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.