Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:43:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0-STABLE breakage?

Folks,

Am I the only one for whom top and ps are broken and w/uptime and who
prints weird messages about /dev//whatever being missing?

tbd: {303} top
kvm_open: proc size mismatch (46992 total, 680 chunks)
top: Out of memory.
tbd: {304} w
w: /dev//è´6ttyp4: No such file or directory
w: /dev//5: No such file or directory
 9:23AM  up 20:13, 2 users, load averages: 1.63, 1.49, 1.42
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
w: proc size mismatch (46992 total, 680 chunks): No such file or directory

I'm guessing a problem with procfs.  Both world and the running kernel
were built from sources updated Jan 28 and should not be out of sync.
I rebuilt top and w/uptime just in case and the same breakage
persists.  PROCFS is in the kernel, loading the KLD makes no
difference.

Where should I look to begin having an idea of how to fix this?  Is
this a known problem?

TIA,
Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>