Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:51:33 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marko Cuk <cuk@cuk.nu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum problems

Alternate long and short lines.

On Thursday, 20 June 2002 at  0:06:05 +0200, Marko Cuk wrote:
> Vinum is very bad when something goes wrong, obviously. I already
> see Greg groggy Lehey, how teach us all, read the manuals, send me
> debuugind output, do something, blah, blah.
>
> Greg has done a big job, but Vinum remains same sof almost two
> years.  Nothing has changed. The website is all the same. No new
> functionality, although they are in "progress".

Are you offering to help?

> Seriously, I am thinking not to use vinum on any disk, since it's
> problems and bad documentation when something goes bad. You must
> know, that vinum is maded for keeping large amount of data and
> therefore it sould be reliable and flexible. Vinim is not. Maybe I
> am stupid, but I am never sure, how to rescue some drive from
> loosing data.  It is nightmare and storage and disks are FreeBSD's
> big pain in the ass.

> Here is my problem:
>
> I had two - 2 - mirrored drives 36gig SCSI. Suddenly I have noticed,
> that one drive was down. I have started the mirror.p1.s0 and disk is
> reviewing.  Ok....and after 51%, the box has crashed ?!

Well, yes or no?  If yes, please give details.

> I changed the disk, try once more time, same resoult.

> Setstate up ....

You know that's dangerous, don't you?  To quote the man page:

    This bypasses the usual consistency mechanism of vinum and should
    be used only for recovery purposes.  It is possible to crash the
    system by incorrect use of this command.

Maybe I should add "don't use this command unless you know exactly
what you're doing.".

> helped me copy the data and put one normal disk instead of vinumed
> mirror and server is after 3 hours back online.
>
> I have put disks into another server and now I am playing with
> them...FreeBSD is 4.6
>
> Here is the output:
>
> p4# vinum l -v

> 2 drives:
> Drive da2:      Device /dev/da1s1e
> Drive da3:      Device /dev/da2s1e
> Drive *invalid*:        Device

> Can anyone explain me, how to delete invalid drive and how to
> "insert" da3 to mirror ?

You're going to have to recover the configuration with printconfig,
then massage it.  There are myriad ways to put subdisks on the drive
and to incorporate them into the system.  I can't tell you which one
to use.

Did you really mean to call /dev/da2s1e da2, and da2s1e da3?  It's bad
practice to name drives after spindles, but in this case it seems to
point to a problem with what used to be /dev/d1s1e.

> As you can see, it is fully availiable for creating new volumes, but
> it won't become part of the mirror.

It certainly won't do it spontaneously.

If you have told it to do something, you need to state what.

> Here is the config file I have used for recreating 2nd mirror disk - da3
> -
> mirror.p1.s0
>
> p4# less mi1
> drive da3 device /dev/da2s1e

I'm not sure what the first couple of lines are intended to mean, or
where the line breaks were intended, but you have a da3 up there.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.