Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:37:11 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <legg@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/pine 4.33 related

I am not sure if this is where I address questions about ports.  Did
briefly subscribe to the freebsd-ports list and it was way above my head,
so I got off of there before anybody knew I was in it.

I installed pine 4.33 to act as an e-mail client for my box.

(FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE)

First I will offer some back ground information that might be helpful to
the problem.

BACKGROUND:

On first operation, it complained that /var/mail had vulnerable permission
s and recommended them to be set to 1770, so I chmod'ed the permissions of
that directory accordingly.  Error message was never seen again.

PINE sends mail just fine, from any user including root.

THE PROBLEM:

E-mails are not being received.  When sending an e-mail to this machine
from a seperate machine, e-mails disappear.  When logging on as root, it
says "You have new mail", but now messages are displayed.

I have links to 4 text files that might be used to give insight to this
problem

directory.txt - 'ls -alR' executed from /root/
pinerc.txt    - .pinerc from the root account
inbox.txt     - copy of the inbox file from /root/mail/inbox
messages.txt  - possibly relevant exerpts from /var/log/messages

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/directory.txt
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/pinerc.txt
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/inbox.txt
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~legg/freebsd/messages.txt