Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:21:16 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, gleb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increase the mount path to MAXPATHLEN?

--FX1XXxwkuRo+XMsw

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:11:45PM -0700, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
> I have a patch at:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~ambrisko/statf.patch
> that people can glance at.  If this approach is the right way to go
> then I update it for the latest -current and update it.

No, I do not think this is the right approach.
You are breaking the ABI in the backward-incompatible way.

What should be done is versioning the fstatfs(2) and other related
symbols from libc. Please look at the lib/libc/include/compat.h
and its use for upgrading the syscalls ABI.

Also, the whole ABI of the system should be inspected for the changes,
due to possible use of the struct statfs in other structures, or as
an argument to other functions.

Gleb Kurtsou (gleb@) has a tool which could compare a set of the shlibs
before and after change for the ABI drift, using the dward debugging
information. I do not remember where it is stored, definitely worth
committing somewhere at tools/tools.

--FX1XXxwkuRo+XMsw

--FX1XXxwkuRo+XMsw--