Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 22:57:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Scott Myron <zamy27@hsonline.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tring to install kde

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Scott Myron wrote:

> ok I downloaded the kde*.tgz's from ftp.cdrom.com(only the kde*.tgz
> ones) and I'm probably missing a few files. but anyhow. I tried to
> pkg_add kde*.tgz well it kind of worked although it gave me errors. it
> took up around 10 megs of disk space but I don't know where it went. I
> look for the "kde" directory and it's not there, then I try to "locate"
> it(after I updated my database) and it's not there. so then I tried to
> "pkg_delete" it. well it said it wasn't installed. then when I try to
> "pkg_add" it it says it IS installed... here are the files.... anyhow.
> if you have any ideas please let me know.. and if I need to download any
> other files also please let me know. and another thing. if you know
> another way to get this installed without "pkg_add" PLEASE let me know.

kde is in a state of flux.  I'm going to build it tonight on one of my
fileservers and see if I can get the order right.   I don't know what's up
with the packages -- can you give some error messages?  to start kde, run
`startkde' in X.

Previously I've built it using the kde metaport, which runs all the
sub-ports in the correct order.  Unfortunately, to make it work right you
have to have the current ports, which are available from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current.  It's very tricky, look
at the kde port Makefile to help out.

the biggest problem is that the kde sub-ports (kdelibs, kdebase, etc) are
in different port categories :(

To pkg_delete you don't supply the .tgz suffix.  See /var/db/pkg for the
list.