Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:28:35 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
Cc:        "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "filesystem is full" during installation of 4.6.2-REL

On Friday, August 16, 2002, at 01:40 PM, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> Scott M. Nolde wrote:
>
>> Andrew Boothman(andrew@cream.org)@2002.08.16 03:12:25 +0000
>>
>>> However, during an FTP install from ftp.uk.freebsd.org when it
>>> reaches 'chunk 4' the system displays a message saying "Write failure
>>> on transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 240260 bytes)" and "/: write failed,
>>> filesystem is full"
>>>
>>> VTY1 shows :
>>> .
>>> .
>>> bin/ls
>>> bin/mkdev
>>> bin/mv
>>> pid 72 (cpio), uid 0 on /: filesystem is full
>>> /stand/cpio: write error: No space left on drive
>>> /stand/gunzip: failed fwrite
>>>
>>> A quick /stand/df on VTY4 shows 101% capacity on /dev/md0c mounted
>>> on / but just 1% capacity on /dev/ad0s1a mounted on /mnt. I've never
>>> delved this far into a sysinstall installation before, but it sounds
>>> like it is failing on unpacking files into a memory disk? What could
>>> have caused this problem
>>>
>> md0c is a memory disk and you're not actually writing to your hard
>> drive,
>> which would be ad0 or ad1.
>>
> Hmmm. Thats exactly what I thought. What does sysinstall use the memory
> disk for?

To uncompress the MFSROOT floppy, which contains the sysinstall script.
In other words, sysinstall and friends are not ran straight from the
floppy, but from a filesystem installed in the RAM of your machine (or
so to speak), to which the kernel copies sysinstall before running it.

> Is this the same memory disk contained on the mfsroot floppy?

Yes. The memory disk contains the uncompressed mfsroot.gz file.

>  In which case why is it trying to unpack more files there?

Probably because he wasn't able to mount your disk on /mnt, so /mnt ends
up being on md0c instead of ad0a.

A.