Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:29:38 -0400
From:      Michael Proto <mike@jellydonut.org>
To:        "Spenst, Aleksej" <Aleksej.Spenst@harman.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: For better security: always "block all" or "block in all" is  enough?

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Spenst, Aleksej
<Aleksej.Spenst@harman.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have to provide for my system better security and I guess it would be b=
etter to start pf.conf with the "block all" rule opening afterwards only th=
ose incoming and outcoming ports that are supposed to be used by the system=
 on external interfaces. However, it would be easier for me to write all pf=
 rules if I start pf.conf with "block in all", i.e. if I block only traffic=
 coming in from the outside and open all ports for outgoing traffic.

> - Incoming ports: only udp/68 (for dhcp client) and http/80 (for http ser=
ver) always open;
> - Outgoing ports: all ports always opened. All traffic going outside from=
 the system has "keep state";

> What disadvantages does it have in term of security in comparison with "b=
lock all"? In other words, how bad it is to have all outgoing ports always =
opened and whether someone can use this to hack the sysem?

> Thanks a lot for any tips!!
> Aleksej.

Outgoing ports aren't really used as an attack on that system, but as
a jump-point to other systems. Say server A allows all outbound
traffic. Server B, with sensitive data on it, blocks all inbound
access from the Internet but does allow connections from the network
where server A is located. Someone hacks server A, and now they have a
route to attack server B they didn't have before.

Ideally, limiting outgoing traffic to only intended hosts and/or ports
is preferred from a security perspective, but you also have to frame
it in the context of what the system will be doing. If you  have a
good knowledge of what the system needs for both inbound and outbound
connectivity, it would probably be a good idea to restrict access both
ways. I say probably because if the system's outbound traffic profile
is intended to change, requiring changes to the firewall ruleset on a
regular basis, it wouldn't make much sense.

If you know there's outbound traffic you definitely don't need,
blocking it isn't a bad idea. For a system with only public IP
addresses, denying traffic to RFC1918 space is a good example.

-Proto