Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 18:42:36 PST
From:      Brian Smith <brians@mandor.dev.com>
To:        David J Meltzer <davem+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

In message <skzh2J200YUx4rfdQY@andrew.cmu.edu>,
David J Meltzer writes:
>Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-questions: 18-Jan-96 Re:
>ethernet packet sniffer. by marino.ladavac@aut.alcat
>> > Mike, I'm not saying it would be practical, but if her networking
>> > department happens to have a Time Domain Reflectometer, which is common
>> > communications equipment for high speed cables (many cable companies have
>> > one) then every tap can be detected.  A TDR would spot everything, even
>> > unused BNC taps.
>>
>> So would a Frequency Domain Reflectometer.
>>

>Is this for a connection made/not made, or can it actually determine if
>a ethernet card on the network is being run in promiscuous mode or not, which
>I think was the original question (and if so, could someone explain how)?

If the question is whether you can tell if some ethernet card on the net
is in promiscuous mode, the answer is no.  You can tell if there is a break
in the ethernet, or if the ethernet is unterminated, and you might be able
to tell if a card is transmitting for more than one source address (with
appropriately expensive hardware).  But, since ethernet is a broadcast
technology, you can't tell if someone "receives" a packet, because they
just copy the frame from the signal on the wire.

Brian