Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:31:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the foretold fragmentation of Linux begun?

In article <20020819155109.GC89852_dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org@ns.sol.net>,
	jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org writes:

> I think it's interesting that we have Red Hat, United Linux (with the
> LSB stamp?), and now Sun rolling their own.
>
> It seems that this was part of the plan all along of these big
> corporations, and this could lead to the exact same kind of
> fragmentation that brought down Unix in the first place.

Actually, I've long harbored the thought that for Linux to be _really_
perceived as a viable OS in the corporate world, there would first
have to be one True Linux(tm).

The LSB, and maybe United Linux, re-enforces my position. On the one
hand, a "standard" that I believe must be adhered to (whether it be
the LSB, or another, doesn't really matter). On the other, a merger
of distributions. Extrapolating, there will be a wider "standard"
encompassing more than just the filesystem, and yet more merging (and/
or dropping) of distributions.

I rather think it funny, if not, ironic, as this will be a big blow
to that vocal group of Linux zealots who deride FreeBSD for it's
"structured" development model. There will have to be a group that
decides these standards, as well as police and enforce them (think
"Core"). There will be a trusted group to govern what actually makes
it into the "source tree" (think "Committers"). And there will be One
True Source - this is already coming into being, what with Linus
adopting the use of a CVS-style repository.

Or not. If not, I think Linux will be relegated to the less-than-
critical servers of some businesses, and won't go much further than
that. If so, Linux's development model will be something closely
resembling that which FreeBSD has been for quite some time now.
And it will be a better OS than the current development model (or
lack thereof?) will allow.

> Will the GPL help, hinder, or be irrelevant to prevent this?

I think it will be irrelevant to your question, but I think it will
be a hinderance to wider adoption by the corporate world. The [L]GPL
already has, from what I've read.

> NOTE: Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed.  Thanks.
> jm

Just my two-cents' worth,
Dave