Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2010 13:03:37 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ugly output of wait_for_pids with kill(1) builtin

On 06/08/10 14:45, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> I'm experimenting with making kill an sh(1) builtin (*).

Adding this feature is probably relevant to the goal of making sh a more
robust system shell, and having given it some thought I think I agree
with your reasoning under * below. I'm just concerned that with things
like the tab completion that you just added that we're going down the
road of making sh more of an interactive shell, which I'm not sure is
the right direction.

> However, this
> makes wait_for_pids's output ugly: the kill builtin is too fast and
> almost always detects the process is still running or a zombie, so the
> Waiting for PIDS message appears for all daemons.

I'm guessing it only appears very briefly, right? I'm also not sure what
you mean by "too fast" here. The sending of the kill command happens in
_run_rc_killcmd, not wait_for_pids.

It's probably also worth mentioning that out of 8 services that get
stopped at shutdown time I currently get the "waiting for pids" message
for 2-4 of them already, so I'm not sure what it is that you're
concerned about.

> Any ideas how to avoid this?

I'm not sure why you're concerned about the "Waiting for PIDS" message,
is your only issue that you find it aesthetically unappealing?

> One such option would be some sort of modification to pwait(1).

What are you suggesting?

Doug

> (*) Reasons to do this:
> 1. allow kill %1
> 2. make sure kill is found before $PATH
> 3. make kill work even if fork is impossible

			-- Propellerheads