Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 07:45:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        des@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@starjuice.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i386 tinderbox failure

>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:33:36 +0200
>From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>

>> Wed Jun 26 19:00:10 PDT 2002
>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/bin/cvs: Shared object has no run-time symbol table

>I got this testing the RMEM_LIMIT patches, but it only crops up after
>about an hour of heavy ports building.  You'll get this for just any
>binary that uses mmap().

I managed to get it while building today's -CURRENT (running -CURRENT
form yesterday).

Backing down to the previous day's kernel allowed me to get through the
build process.  (It had died during "stage 4: populating
/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include," and I'm well byond that for the
present build  -- I'm in the install phase.)

>Unfortunately, I haven't had time to produce any useful debugging
>information, so I can't be sure it's really the RMEM_LIMIT patches.

Well, the following is a list of each file under /usr/src/sys that
changed between the two kernels:

U sys/conf/NOTES
U sys/conf/files
U sys/conf/options
U sys/ddb/db_examine.c
U sys/ddb/db_expr.c
U sys/i386/i386/pmap.c
U sys/kern/kern_exec.c
U sys/kern/kern_jail.c
U sys/kern/kern_module.c
U sys/kern/kern_subr.c
U sys/kern/uipc_cow.c
U sys/kern/uipc_jumbo.c
U sys/kern/uipc_socket.c
U sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c
U sys/modules/ti/Makefile
U sys/net/if_media.c
U sys/netinet/ip_output.c
U sys/pci/if_ti.c
U sys/pci/if_tireg.h
U sys/pci/ti_fw.h
U sys/pci/ti_fw2.h
U sys/sparc64/include/pmap.h
U sys/sparc64/sparc64/bus_machdep.c
U sys/sparc64/sparc64/pmap.c
U sys/sys/jumbo.h
U sys/sys/mbuf.h
U sys/sys/resource.h
U sys/sys/socketvar.h
U sys/sys/tiio.h
U sys/sys/uio.h
U sys/ufs/ufs/ufs_readwrite.c
U sys/vm/device_pager.c
U sys/vm/uma_core.c
U sys/vm/vm_fault.c
U sys/vm/vm_map.c
U sys/vm/vm_map.h
U sys/vm/vm_mmap.c
U sys/vm/vm_object.c
U sys/vm/vm_object.h
U sys/vm/vm_page.c
U sys/vm/vm_page.h
U sys/vm/vm_unix.c

so I have a fair degree of confidence that changes to some subset of the
above files was responsible.  And this is on a PIII, so the sparc64
files are unlikely to have been to blame....  :-}

Cheers,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
Trying to support or use Microsoft products makes about as much sense
as painting the outside of a house with watercolors.