Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:20:30 -0400
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware port stability

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 08:23:57AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
[skipped]
> The latest VMWare port in the ports tree (the one with the Makefile
> with version 1.19) runs *fine* on 4.0 REL *with* host-only networking.
Actually latest is 1.20, and it's almost same as in my page, so it doesn't
support nor 4.0 REL, nor 4.1 REL.

> Using NAT one can get that to look just like bridged networking, or
> (as I use it) you can have the VM share your host OSs address.
>
> I think this is a valuable thing to support!  There will be a number
> of users who will want to run VMWare who will not be upgrading to
> 4.n (n > 0) for some time, for whatever reason.  It would be a real
> shame to unnecessarily remove VMWare from the list of things they
> can run.
>
> Now, your suggestion to just update the port to fetch the newer bits
> from VMWare when they change is a reasonable one, except that it is
> possible that future VMWare changes might require changes to your
> OS shim layer code.  Likewise there might be bug fixes or other
> stuff in your shim code (vmmon) that would help 4.0 REL users if
> they were made available.
I don't think that VMWARE will be put something new in the Linux kernel
driver.

> So I guess what I am suggesting would be best for the users is:
>
>   1) have just *one* port that works for all versions of FreeBSD with
>   v >= 4.0 Rel.  Looking at the makefile it seems like this should
>   relatively straightforward, although the vmnet part would be a pain.
From 4.0 to 4.1 was several changes in the all ethernet drivers, so it's not
so easy to include support 4.0 Rel, due this reason.

>   2) Have a designated and labeled 4.0 port that would track changes
>   in VMWare and fix bugs in the underlying support code.
Actually I have everything in CVS tree, so I can just produce any snapshot
;-).

> I know that this would make extra work for you, and that you don't have
> resources (machines, time, etc) to do this all yourself.  I'll volunteer
> to test releases on 4.0 Rel (since we will have 4.0 machines running
> here for at least the next 6 months), and help with debugging etc.  I'm
> guessing other users would be willing to help out also.
I hope so.

--
Vladimir