Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 1999 16:56:27 GMT
From:      Kave p.Ram <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SoundBlaster 16

Hello all !
I have a Creative Soundblaster 16 Plug&Play sound card .
and I can't  make it work in FreeBSD 3.1 Release . (Generic kernel)
#this card works fine in win95.

I've read both LINT settings and the /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc .

According to LINT this card should be :
     device sb0 at isa?  port 0x220  irq 5  drq 1

and I've got them all matched with my card .
#checked them in win95|control panel|system settings

and then for more info on these sort of cards LINT referes to :
  /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc

Now, in this file: <sound.doc> , they've said :
"To enable sound driver support, the controller sound code must be included
in your config file:"
         ^^^^^^^^^^^
# SoundBlaster DSP driver - for SB, SB Pro, SB16, PAS(emulating SB)
#device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1
                                    ^^^^^
# SoundBlaster 16 DSP driver - for SB16 - requires sb0 device
#device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5

first : which config file is it refering to ?
second : this is what I did when booting :
boot -> pressed some key -> config>boot -c -> visual

and there in Multimedia section <last line>, there is no device .
and I can't Expand it. it's not even collapsed .
it's just there like it's not probed at all .
third : in my /dev I have no sb* <soundblaster-related entry >.
        what do I do ?

and one last thing :
in the end of
  /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc

it says :
"Probing problems:  Since the SB16 uses the same IRQ and addresses for
the different drivers, some of the snd drivers will not be probed because
the kernel thinks there is a conflict.  This can be worked-around by
using the "conflicts" keyword on the sb16's device line."

in which file can I find/change the line on sb16's device ?
is it a driver code which needs to be recompiled for this machine ?

I appreciate any answer from anyone :)