Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:11:19 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Adam David <adam@veda.is>
Subject:   Re: getty modem control

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> > 1. Would anyone be terribly upset if I added modem string grabbing support
> > to getty? This would be useful for logging caller ID and connect speed.

	I will.

> If you need mgetty, better use mgetty.  There's no use to invent a
> second all-singing all-dancing getty, i'd be more happy to keep the
  ^^^^^^
	I think there are about several dozens "smart" getty's around
	already and have been for years.  uugetty comes to mind, for example.

> standard getty reasonably small, more targeted towards regular needs
> and non-broken modems.

> Fixing all the related programs to chatting with a
> modem will become an endless mess.

	Sure.

> If you don't agree on this, please agree on forking off the old
> (pre-David N) getty as ``getty-light'', so i could continue to use
> this version then.  I refuse to use broken modems anyway, and i don't
> need the creeping featurism.  (Not meant as a personal offense, but as
> a general statement.)

	A second this wholeheartly.  Also the "lightweight" setup
	is much easier to administer when you have at least 16 modems
	per box.

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Best regards,
Andrew Stesin

nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE