Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:13:28 -0500
From:      Yousif Hassan <yousif@alumni.jmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome-cups-manager / gnome-cups-add problems

Hi!

With the newest GNOME on FreeBSD (2.20) has anyone had luck using the
GNOME cups clients to add/configure CUPS printers?  My attempts all
fail.

I checked out the FAQs and browsed through this list but can't find
anything relevant.

It might have something to do with the authentication to root when I run
it as a normal user:

GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

Despite the message, the 'gnome-cups-add' interface proceeds to show the
proper dialogs and everything seems normal - till the end - the printer is
NOT added, and the error message is:

** (gnome-cups-add:20755): WARNING **: IPP request failed with status 1028

I researched that message, and got lots of hits, but nothing fits.  It
could be a bug upstream, and if so - I just want to know that.

Using the web-based CUPS interface to add/configure/etc printers works
fine, even without "root" access, so this is how I've isolated it to
the GNOME CUPS clients.

Thanks for any pointers.
Yousif