Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:20:07 +0200 (EET)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com (Dennis Glatting)
Cc:        sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG (Maxim Sobolev), dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com (Dennis Glatting), ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Confused between the two freetypes

> On Sunday 28 January 2001 01:05 am, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > > XFree86-4 requires freetype2 whereas several ports who define
> > > USE_FREETYPE bring in freetype. Are these two versions compatible?
> > > Would it be best to modify bsd.port.mk not to define ttf.4 if
> > > freetype2 is already installed?
> >
> > No, these two version are imcompatible at API and ABI levels.
> >

> Thanks.
>
> If these two are installed, do they conflict in any way?

It depends on how well each particular program/configure script is written.
While freetypes are free from the usual fs namespace conflicts, but freetype2
programs can occasionally pick older includes if they have
-I${LOCALBASE}/incude preprocessor directive before
-I${LOCALBASE}/include/freetype2 directive in a gcc comman line and freetype1
is installed.

-Maxim