Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:41:26 -0500
From:      Doug Kite <dkite@co.lenoir.nc.us>
To:        "A.K" <blorb@biosys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-windows and Apache

A.K wrote:
> I have version 3.0 of freebsd and I updated Xwindows to support my
> video card. Now I followed all instructions on the screen and tried
> various resolutions but all I get when I start it is a black screen with
> the edges of shell windows showing up. Sometimes I can exit when I just
> type exit. The mouse works and a menu shows up when I hit the left mouse
> button which disappears when I try to click the options listed.

Perhaps you have a virtual desktop that is larger than the resolution you are
running at. This confused me at first. If your virtual desktop is 800x600, but
you are running at 640x480, then you are only seeing part of the desktop. Try
pressing ctrl+alt+plus key on kepad; or ctrl+alt+minus key on keypad. This
changes your resolution "on the fly" if your configuration allows it.

If that doesn't work, you may have to look at your XF86Config file. Find the
screens section, and look for lines that start with "Modes". Note the first
resolution listed. Then check for another line that starts with "Virtual".
This sets your virtual desktop size. Change it to match the first resolution
in the modes line.

Hope this helps,
Doug Kite