Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 15:42:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec)
Subject:   2.2.8-R & XF86333: Lost colors in Netscape

Greetings -
This morning I freshly installed 2.2.8 & XFree86 3.3.3 on two different
machines. Since then, I have lost all colors in the Netscape control
buttons and icons. Netscape works fine, and the pages it displays are
in full color.  There are no other X-win programs running, except for
a few xterms. Both machines ran 2.2.7 & Xfree86 3.3.2 previously, with
Netscape working perfectly.

I don't think the window manager has anything to do with the problem.
We are able to duplicate the symptoms with TWM and Afterstep 1.0 - but
also with no window manager at all (bare XF86_SVGA server).

The two different machines, with two different video cards are:
Computer 1: HP Vectra   (PPro 200MHz) 128MB, Matrox Millenium PCI 8MB.
Computer 2: HP Kayak XU (P-II 400MHz) 128MB, Matrox Millenium II AGP 8MB.

Both machines have plenty of video memory, are set to display only in
1280x1024 mode with 24bpp.

Is there a known problem with XF86 3.3.3 and Netscape (native FBSD binary)?
The following versions of Netscape are known to be affected: 4.06, 4.07,
and 4.5.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Regards,
- Mike