Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:31:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>, bwoods2@uswest.net, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 27-Feb-00 Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > This happens for tcl, gtk, qt.. There are quite a number. (at least 3! ;)
> >  Can I ask you, why could this not have been done through a system of
> >  symlinks and a little batch-file to switch them?
>
> How could you run multiple applications which use different versions of the
> same library? A lot of them have support files which are loaded by the
> library when ITs loaded by the app. You would end up with all sorts of nasty
> race conditions when people run multiple apps etc..

The config files that I would be controlling aren't used during program
runtime, only during build.  The stuff would link just as it is now, but
you'd use a short "versioning" script to set up the config file symlinks,
so that if you wanted to build a app that wasn't a FreeBSD port, it would
find it's correct config file, right where it expects to find it.

Some stuff, like tclsh, could have a default link, say from tclsh to
tclsh8.2, or allow a user to set that.  That could be a local option, but
it's icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.  The only real thing I
would be after is the ability to stick the config file locations in the
places that the original developers (and the configuration scripts they
build with) expect them to be.  Anything done as far as executeable names,
I don't really care too much about.

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.