Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:05:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        acton@vn.opentext.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5-RELEASE > 64Megabyte generates kernel panic

>>ASUS P2L97 AGP Motherboard with 128Mbytes of 10ns SDRAM DIMMS in 64MB modules
>>266MHz Pentium II
>
>    I had a variety of problems with using 2 SDRAM DIMMs here and I eventually
> had to replace them with regular SIMMs (the motherboard I had supported both).
> The problems were similar to what you are seeing, although the exact fairly
> was random. I've heard that SDRAM compatibility is a big problem, and because
> of this, many vendors have special (no)return policies specifically for SDRAM.

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus has had long threads on SDRAM in the P2L97[S].

According to the articles, typically, a single SDRAM DIMM does not generate the
problem. Also,some brands of SDRAM are to be avoided. A good SDRAM DIMM should
have an EEPROM; the EEPROM tells the motherboard what type of DIMM is installed.
Daniel Bucher <danbu@centralnet.ch> recommended:

	"Micron MT16LSDT464AG-66CL2, which is a 2-row-8-Chip S-DIMM,
	 256 Byte EEPROM installed with SPD-Information according to the
	 actual specification. It's the best available yet!"

Finally, some suggest move the second DIMM out of the middle slot on the P2L97.

<disclaimer: I am following the articles because I am window shopping this
	     combination. my knowledge in the are is based purely on here-say>
--mark.