Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:18:15 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        Christian Chen <oistrakh@earthlink.net>, Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>, FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT: nVidia Cards picture/driver quality

Andresen,Jason R.(jandrese@mitre.org)@2001.04.12 09:44:37 +0000:
> You are right about the raster quality of the NVidia cards (Geforce
> especially).  As you probably know, NVidia liceneses out their chipset
> (and a "reference board") to companies, and these companies do the
> final board design and manufacture your card.  Apparently even the
> reference board from NVidia had rather bad raster issues, and most
> manufacturers weren't really set up to fix them, so they basically
> reproduced the reference board as is, leaving the problems in place.
> Also, GeForce cards are pretty expensive if all you want to do with
> them is sysadmin or do other 2D tasks.  Warning: This paragraph
> is third hand information, your accuracy may vary.
you might also check out
http://www.geocities.com/porotuner/imagequality.html
wich conatins a not-so-nice (speak: ugly) mod involving handling of
soldering irons but seems to work.
/k

> Finally, one really big downside for buying either card (if you are
> a gamer) is that they are merely tested for "compatability" by most
> game companies.  This means it is all too common to find games tickling
> bugs in your card (that NEVER get fixed, because they only really care
> about the NVidia and 3dfx folks).  I still have to downgrade my video
> drivers to play some games (Star Trek Armada) and then upgrade them
> again to play different games (Heavy Gear II), which is annoying to
> say the least.
the drivers that ocassoinally "leak" from invidia and show up on
http://www.reactorcritical.com/ appear to work very reliable for me
(10.80/11.01 for win2k) and they also fix the ugly 60hz default of the
older reference drivers when switching to directx fullscreen to somewhat
higher refresh rates (72..85Hz)

/k

--
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- http://www.webmonster.de -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de