Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:06:52 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@almond.elite.net>
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner), julian@whistle.com, nate@elite.net, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apparent bug in sendto() with raw sockets

In message <199806252129.OAA24992@almond.elite.net> Nate Lawson wrote:
>Since traceroute ships as a standard utility with FreeBSD, couldn't the
>change to network byte order be done simultaneously, minimizing headaches?

The standard utilities could be changed easily.  I'm worried about
compatibility with externally-written programs; e.g. the binary-only
"pathchar" from LBL would become useless on an OS with this change.
Externally-written programs that are written to the well known BSD raw
socket interface would all have to be patched to work with an updated
system, as well.  (For example, LBL's traceroute program.)

  Bill