Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:02:48 +0100
From:      "James A Wilde" <james.wilde@telia.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   readonly filesystem to read-write

Hi:

I loaded FBSD 3.1 on an old pentium today.  The network card was not working
so I
added some lines to rc.conf.  Unfortunately the first of these lacked the "
before the value
so the boot process bombed out at, presumably, single user stage.  No
editors were available
except ed but ed couldn't do anything since the file system was readonly.  I
can't mv the file
either for the same reason.

How do I change the state of the file system to read-write so that I can at
least boot the
system all the way and then repair the file with vi?

TIA

mvh/regards

James