Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:39:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Michael Richards <michael@fastmail.ca>, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel SE7500CW2 narrowed down...

On 05-Dec-2002 Terry Lambert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> Terry.  We are having problems sending _interprocess_interrupts_.
>> IPI's do _not_ go through the IO APIC.  They are sent from one
>> local APIC over to another local APIC.  The problems we are seeing
>> have nothing to do with I/O interrupts.  The box runs fine with one
>> processor and using the I/O APIC if you ignore the failure of the
>> AP to respond to the startup IPI.
>
> This is the "ServerwWorks related lockup", not the "Second processor
> does not start, and so does not grab Giant, so system does not lock
> up" thing, right?

No, this is the second CPU fails to startup period.  Giant isn't even
a factor at this early stage.

> The easy way to prove your thesis is to send a broadcast IPI.  You
> only have 2 CPUs in that box, anyway.  If it starts working then
> you are right.

It didn't, it reset the box.  At the moment I am getting an error after
sending either the level-deassert INIT IPI or the first STARTUP IPI
(if I disable the level-deassert INIT which is ignored by P4's anyways)
of the type "Received Illegal Vector".  I'm getting this error on the
CPU that is sending the IPI however. :-/

[ irrelevant stuff removed ]