Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:17:48 +0000
From:      Dermot C Cassidy <dermotc@hopalong.ilo.cpqcorp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        cheney@soc.umass.edu
Subject:   Re: procmail setup troubles

> Hi folks.  I can't get procmail to filter mail.  Here's the story.
> I'm migrating mail from a debian box to my FreeBSD box.  I simply stole
> the .fetchmailrc and .procmailrc files from the debian box and put them
> in
> the home directory of the FreeBSD box.  Both of these files were fully
> functional with the debian box, so I think they are ok.
> Then I installed procmail using the ports collection...  Finally I made
>  .forward file with the line "|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75"
> I put this .forward file in my home directory.
>
> With this setup procmail just loses all incoming mail, and some mail
> is not even fetched because it says it cannot resolve the domain
> of the sender.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Any ideas out there?

Hi,

If you check the mail logs (/var/log/maillog - and old gzipped
copies), I think you'll see that some of your mail is being
rejected because it doesn't pass the tests in a sendmail ruleset
called 'check_mail'.  (Do a grep for 'ruleset=check_mail') This
does a dns lookup of the bit after the '@' in the address the
mail is from.  If it can't verify it the mail is rejected.

You can test this out by running:

	sendmail -bt

then, at the '>' prompt type:

	check_mail person@domain.to.check

Obviously, substitute an appropriate address.  Use '?'
to get help.  (You may find that the 'cc' I've sent
you of this very message fails the test, because most
of the internal domains here are not made visible in
public dns - maybe the reply won't get through to the
mailing list at all!).

If you don't want the rule, you'll either have to modify the
sendmail.cf file or generate a new one using the m4 macro system
(the recommended way of fiddling with sendmail configuration).
The O'Reilly TCP/IP Network Administration book (unix version)
has a nice intro.  The big O'Reilly Sendmail book has got the
detail.  None of it is for the faint hearted though!

Regards,

Dermot

--
  Dermot Cassidy, Systems Engineer, MSE A&O
    Compaq ESC, Ballybrit Business Park, Galway, Ireland.