Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:10:30 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'alan17@wizard.net'" <alan17@wizard.net>, ilia@cgilh.chel.su
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Progress!

Hi again Alan,

Glad you got it booted! Does it remember the settings next time you boot?

Anyway, to change the root password, just boot into single user mode. You
can do this by giving a '-s' option at the diskXXX> prompt (I believe, but
check the help). Then just use the passwd command to change it. You can't
just edit /etc/passwd, although you might get away with editing /etc/master.
passwd and then running 'pwd_mkdb' to update the database (or something like
this). Using the 'passwd' command does it all for you.

Hope it works!

Jeff