Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 00:25:49 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "WangLei Lisa (Nokia/Beijing)" <lisa.wanglei@nokia.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD support'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Why I can't install DES on my FreeBSD 2.27?

> We're using FreeBSD 2.2.7, and we need to configure this host as NIS client.
> So I need to install DES, right?
>
> I downloaded every file in
> ftp://ftp.internat.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.7-RELEASE/des with netscape
> 4.5, and ftp to my FreeBSD with the corresponding mode(eg. ascii for
> install.sh and binary for des.aa), then I type
> #sh install.sh
>
> but it gives me such info:
>  ----------------------------------------------------
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: child returned status 1
> tar:  not found in archive
>  ---------------------------------------------------
> So can you point out a way for me to install DES?

Check the md5 checksums are right for the downloaded files.  My guess is
that Netscape isn't transferring them correctly.  The checksums are listed
in the file CHECKSUM.MD5 in the same directory you ftp'ed des.aa from
(well, it should be, unfortunately I'm only seeing checksums for the
kerberos files there).  You can use the program 'md5' to generate a
checksum.  If they are not ok, or you can't verify them, try regetting
them, preferably directly from the FreeBSD box so you can make sure they
come in binary mode from the main ftp site.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083