Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:12:06 +0100 (BST)
From:      Alex Hayward <xelah@xelah.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2 fails to compile in strangest possible way

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> Laurence Berland wrote:
>
> > All,
> >         Trying to compile KDE 4.1 on a somewhat recent 4.1-STABLE yields some
> > strange results.  All appears to be going well, until it begins
> > compiling the file mcopidl.cc.  The precise line is
> >
> > c++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -I,,.,,.dcop -I../../kdecore
> > -I../../kdeui -I../../kssl -I/usr/X11R6/include/qt2 -I/usr/X11R6/include
> > -I/usr/local/include -I./../mcop -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/usr/local/include  -O -pipe -frtti -c mcopidl.cc
> >
> > It doesn't fail per se, but it's been working on this for at least 7
> > hours, with no sign of anything happening, though the activity lights
> > are flashing.  Top shows some activity involving this process, and it
> > does seem to be using a large and oft-varied amount of memory (~50-70
> > MB).  Just for reference the machine is a PPro 200 with 32 MB ram, 128MB
> > swap, running a generic kernel.
>
> Try GNOME - it's now almost at par with KDE in usability/eye candiness (even
> beats it in the later category IMO), while uses old plain C and not so heavily
> CORBA-minded, so it is definitely the only choice for low-end machines.

KDE doesn't use CORBA. There have also been a number of reports on the KDE
lists that recent sources have got a lot better performance wise,
including on low end machines.

Just in case the blindingly obvious has been missed, have any of the
people with compile problems tried removing the '-O'? It's what works
for me, though I haven't tried it with a recent cvsup of KDE.