Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:47:00 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@sinbad.net>
To:        Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy mount question....i hope

On Monday 19 August 2002 11:31 pm, Tom Kersten wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to dynamically changed mount points
> (upon login, or mount request possibly)?
>
> If so, is this a bad practice?
>
> Is there a better way to solve the following problem?
>
> The reason I ask is that I am trying to make it
> possible for any user on my system to create a floppy
> (or cdrom) icon on their KDE desktop by right-clicking
> and going to "create new->floppy device" and be able
> to access that device. I currently have it set up
> where a user can type the mount_msdos (or cd9660)
> command in the CLI, but would like it to be GUI-based,
> as some are not very familiar with UNIX. I have
> scoured the lists and sites, but have had no
> FreeBSD-specific answers. I have read the handbook and
> have done the vfs.usermount=1 command, which helpted,
> but does not solve the GUI-based question, as it only
> allows them to use the CLI method of mounting a
> filesysytem. It appears that in Linux you can add
> "users" to the filesystem's entry in the /etc/fstab
> entry, but...this is not an option in BSD...to my
> knowledge.
>
> My assessment of the situation is that the user must
> "own" the mountpoint folder. The entry in my
> /etc/fstab file points fd0c (and acd0c) to /mnt/floppy
> * /mnt/cdrom, but I am unable to mount to these
> directories unless I do so as root or I change the
> ownership of the folder to the user attempting to
> mount to that point. I am able to mount to any folder
> the person owns and mount either filesystem type, but
> am trying to figure out a way to make it as easy as
> possible for GUI-only users to take full advantage of
> all devices on the system. Any ideas or help on this
> topic is greatly appreciated. Also, please reply to
> this email directly, as I am not currently a member of
> the mailing list....
>

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Thomas Kersten
> tomkersten98@yahoo.com

Install sudo /usr/ports/security/sudo. It will allow whatever users or group
to mount drives etc... The docs and manpages are pretty straightforward about
setup. Also both KDE and Gnome have icon based drive mounting. That coupled
with sudo should allow you to do what you are asking.

Beech

      Beech Rintoul - SysAdmin - akbeech@sinbad.net
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Sinbad Network Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 3101 Penland Parkway #K-38
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Anchorage, AK 99508-1957