Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 22:14:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Randomizing master sites for distfile downloads...

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > > I've got a few ideas for randomizing load for a given geographic
> > > region (Europe, Asia, Affrica, and the US being the 4 biggies:
> >
> > I'd like to steal part of your thread for an idea that I've been
> > kicking around. I think it would be useful to allow a user to
> > specify something like PORTS_DOWNLOAD_REGION in /etc/make.conf, and
> > have bsd.sites.mk make reasonable decisions about which set of
> > servers to use first based on that. I think your choices of regions
> > is a good one. The code to do this is pretty easy to conceive, but
> > if you need a proof of concept let me know.
>
> Actually, I was going to do one better by having fetch(1) hit a CGI
> script that would do a GeoIP look up and would return a list of nearby
> mirrors.  This'd give the FreeBSD project some kind idea for what our
> userbase is and what's getting installed where (prioritizing the
> importance of ports based off of # of downloads).  -sc

Ummm.... I would object to this on two grounds. First, a potential
performance hit for users behind a slow link. Second, ANY collection of
statistics we do based on user activity should be strictly opt-in. Doing
this without the user knowing about it would not only be rude (IMO), but
open us up to some interesting legal issues.

If you're not interested in my proposal (and if you're not, no problem)
let me know and I'll move forward with some sample code myself.

Doug

--

    "The last time France wanted more evidence, it rolled right
        through Paris with a German flag." - David Letterman