Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 2014 20:18:49 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Port's Makefile: aclocal implies the use of automake, but does not respect AUTOMAKE_ARGS

--Sig_//lqyFsuGTv/ALWJU_BJBuLu

I have a problem with porting. The handbook states, see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-autotools.html,
that aclocal implies the ussage of automake.

Consider this line in the port's Makefile:

USE_AUTOTOOLS=3D  libltdl aclocal autoheader

The software comes with the basis of Makefile.am an configure.ac, so I have=
 to go through
the configure steps of the GNU autotools. Having the the USE_AUTOTOOLS=3D s=
et as above and
having the sentence from the porter's handbook in mind, the configure proce=
ss fails with
"missing". To avoid those messages, I have to add =20

AUTOMAKE_ARGS+=3D -a

for --add-missing in automake.

Having USE_AUTOTOOLS=3D  libltdl aclocal autoheader automake set, AUTOMAKE_=
ARGS+=3D -a is
respected. Omit automake from USE_AUTOTOOLS=3D results in a non-respected A=
UTOMAKE_ARGS+=3D
-a and a lot of typical missing errors.

Something is wrong in the logic! Either the porter's handbook is wrong or I=
'm missing
some knob.

Regards,
Oliver