Date:      Fri,  7 Jun 2002 13:14:39 +0200
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslog-ng

Hi,

IŽd like to add a couple of things that took me some time to figure out when
I wanted to log Cisco stuff on a FreeBSD box:

- in case youŽre deciding to go for syslogd, do not forget to start
  it with the appropriate options to allow the router to connect.
  In case your router has the ip 192.168.0.1, the call for starting
  syslogd should be 'syslogd -a 192.168.0.1/32:*'

- on the cisco you can specify which ip/interface is supposed to
  be the source for the logging messages.
  You _should_ specify which one to use, to avoid problems. The command
  on the router should be (for example):
  router1(config)# logging source-interface Ethernet0

Please remember, that syslogd must not be started with the option '-ss'
as this would prevent the box from creating a socket for listening to
remote connections.

Regards,

Emre

--