Date:      Wed, 14 May 2014 16:52:24 -0400
From:      Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Firefox will adapt closed source DRM

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2014 14:44:48 -0400, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> Firefox will adapt DRM stuff into it.  Can it be turned off, i.e, when
>> compiling it?
>> or do we simply move on to another browser?
>
> That would not help much. Many users have "Flash" installed,
> which is also closed source and implements DRM as well. Such
> kind of plugins, usually video players or gaming interfaces,
> have been used by websites for at least a decade to restrict
> the access to the content.
>
> Now that there seems to be a W3C "consensus" of making such
> functionality part of HTML, there's hardly a way around it.
> If Firefox does not implement the restriction management within
> its "HTML engine", it will appear to the user that "the web
> is broken", which (of course) is a fault of the browser, so
> in order to see the dancing bunnies, he will switch to a
> different browser which applies the restriction management
> accordingly. And if this functionality is only available or
> legal in proprietary (non-open, non-free) form, then it's
> basically the same approach as installing a "Flash" plugin.
>
> I don't want to sound impolite, but following this trend is
> the only chance of Firefox to "stay in the game". :-(
>

> More inspiration here:
>
> http://andreasgal.com/2014/05/14/eme/
>

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

I dont have flash.  IT is a resource hog!  CPU hovers to 90%+ levels.
If I want to see a youtube video, I use youtube script

https://calomel.org/youtube_wget.html

I don=C8=9B trust flash on my pc and I don=C8=9B want to have flash enabled
here.  So I wonder if firefox would give the option to enable that
stuff or not.

I agree with you in the stay in the game part of firefox.  But could
not they do it with HTML5?
why is DRM so important that it is needed so much as to stain an
otherwise decent web browser.

Best Regards,

Antonio