Date:      Wed, 09 May 2007 14:49:18 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gabriel Rossetti <mailing_lists@evotex.ch>
Subject:   Re: Can't get FreeBSD to boot automatically from RAID 5 system

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>Gabriel Rossetti wrote:

>>How can I do that? When I use sysinstall to create my partitions it
>>automatically create's it as da0s1d.
>>
>Use:
>
>  bsdlabel -e da0s1

There's also a trick you can use in sysinstall.  It will only ever
assign an "a" partition to /.  So if you have some partition which you
know will act as a root partition, but isn't actually going to be one
right now, *lie*.  Set the mount point to / and get assigned e.g. da0s1a
then *change* the mountpoint with M (I think) back to whatever you're
calling this partition right now e.g. /root2.  Make sure you turn off
softupdates (S?) if changing the mountpoint turns them back on.  Once
the a partition has been assigned, it won't be re-assigned just because
you changed the mountpoint.

Of course, this means that you have to assign all the pseudo-root
partitions before you assign any real root partition otherwise
sysinstall will likely complain about the duplicate mountpoint.  (Or
change the real root mountpoint, do your pseudo roots, then change the
real root back to /).

Of course, it doesn't help you now, but if there's a next time...

--Alex